Friday, October 8, 2010

Poetry: "First Days of Spring" and "Spring!"

 
Here is some spring poetry that I found on the Internet, which I found quite lovely, for anybody here who lives in the Southern Hemisphere (in other words, for anybody for whom spring has just come). I have already posted selections for fall in the post directly below this one.

This first poem is by a famous Japanese poet named Ryōkan.

 First Days of Spring
by Ryōkan

First days of spring.....blue sky, bright sun.
Everything is gradually becoming fresh and green.
Carrying my bowl, I walk slowly to the village.
The children, surprised to see me,
Joyfully crowd about, bringing
my begging trip to an end by the temple gate.
I place my bowl on top of a white rock and
Hang my sack from the branch of a tree.
Here we play with the wild grasses and throw a ball.
For a time, I play catch while the children sing;
Then it's my turn.
Playing like this, here and there, I have forgotten
the time.
Passers-by point and laugh at me, asking,
"What is the reason for such foolishness?"
No answer I give, only a deep bow;
Even if I replied, they would not understand.
Look around! There is nothing besides this.


This second one is by Emily Matthews.
 
Each Spring is a brand new beginning
with so much to see and to do.
With new opportunities waiting
to make all our wishes come true.
 
It's such a good time to plan changes,
to make the fresh start we might need.
To try something different and daring,
to reach for the stars and succeed.

Each Spring is a brand new beginning,
a precious new chance sent our way.
To follow our dreams and fulfill them
with joy in our hearts every day.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...